Saturday, May 18, 2013

Sherborn Power Lines

The clouds were moving in, and I had hoped to do some butterflying today, so I went to Sherborn to check the power line trail.  I saw two Black Swallowtails on the trail through the woods.  Just before I got to the power lines, I saw my first of the year Pink Ladyslippers!


Once out on the power line trail, any idea I had of looking for butterflies flew out the window when  I saw my first of the year Indigo Bunting.  Sigh.  What a gorgeous bird!


Indigo Bunting

Immediately after that, I saw a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, but it was high up in the trees with the sun shining behind it, followed by more Indigo Buntings, three Turkey Vultures circling above, a pair of Brown-Headed Cowbirds, and the singing of several Prairie Warblers that I wouldn't see until later.


The butterflies that started showing up in numbers and cooperating for photos were Duskywings.   I did enjoy fly-bys of one Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, several Clouded Sulphurs, two Pearl Crescents, and a few Cabbage Whites.

Juvenal's Duskywing

Dreamy Duskywing

There were quite a few dragonflies buzzing around, too.  I saw one new variety for the year, which was fun!

Dot-Tailed Whiteface (female)


Common Whitetail


Juvenal's Duskywing


more Birds-Foot Violets!


Juvenal's Duskywing


Prairie Warbler
*sigh*


Eastern Pine Elfin

I like the colors of this flowering bush and the patterns in this butterfly.  Very pretty!


Gray Hairstreak (very faded)


Buttercups (back at the parking lot)


No comments:

Post a Comment