Saturday, May 4, 2013

In Search of Warblers Part 2

From Marblehead Neck, I decided to forge on to Plum Island and visit Parker River National Wildlife Refuge.  My GPS took me the back way, straight through Beverly, the town I was trying to avoid today because American Idol contestant Angie Miller was having her "home visit" there today.  Luckily for me, the roads were not to be closed until 2-4, long after I made it through town.

Savannah Sparrow





There were tons of Savannah Sparrows at Parker River NWR today.  At this first stop, I saw at least six.  

American Black Duck (nesting or resting?)


Canada Goose (nesting)


Snowy Egret




Marsh Loop

I saw a Blue-Headed Vireo while on this trail.  Luckily for me, a group of birders identified it for me.  No photo ~~ it was too high in the trees with lots of branches in the way.


Marsh Wren


Savannah Sparrow




Beaver


Song Sparrow


Palm Warbler


Greater Yellowlegs


Red-Tailed Hawk (juvenile)


Beautiful in flight!

Thank you to Alan M. of the Forbush Bird Club for the correct ID of this hawk.

39 species of birds (that I could remember)
7 cabbage white and 1 mourning cloak butterfly
plus 1 beaver, 1muskrat, and 1 raccoon


No comments:

Post a Comment