Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Morning Hike at Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary

I loved starting the day at Waseeka.  My only problem with it was that I found it very, very difficult to leave.  There was so much to see, and the light was beautiful.  I'll have to do it again but go earlier in order to have more time....It was 42 degrees at the start and 50 degrees by the time I left, quite an increase in 45 minutes.

As soon as I started down the trail, I heard a Great Horned Owl hooting in the woods.  It called 2x and then went quiet.  Ovenbirds were calling in their usual places, plus a few more places closer to the water.  I estimate I heard at least six of them.  I almost had a glimpse of one on the way out.  I saw the mink hopping around on the "island" out in the middle of the water, and the ospreys were present, as usual.

Photo highlights:

Great Blue Heron, fishing


Baltimore Oriole (female), gathering nesting materials


Pretty!


The male was also present, but I couldn't get a photo of him.  There was also a Chipping Sparrow gathering nesting materials in these same plants.  It's a busy time of year!




Hooded Merganser (female)


Mallard (male)


Wood Duck (male)


Ditto (flew into the tree)


Wood Duck (female)

PS.  I couldn't resist a return trip at noon.

 Juvenal's Duskywing


 Fringed Milkwort

I learned on "Go Botany" that the leaves of this plant were used externally by the Iroquois as a wash or poultice to treat abscesses, boils and sores.


Starflower 

The starflower is one of a few flowers that has seven petals, but petal number can vary from 5-10.


Garter Snake



No comments:

Post a Comment