- Blue Jays lay an average of 4-5 eggs which are then incubated for 17-18 days.
- When the eggs hatch, the babies are naked, limp and their eyes are closed.
- The female broods them for the first 8-12 days, and the male brings food.
- After 12 days, both parents participate in food gathering, the babies grow feathers, gain strength and open their eyes.
- Blue Jays typically leave the nest about 3 weeks after they are born but stay with and are fed by their parents for another 4-8 weeks.
Friday, May 31, 2013
Baby Blue Jays
Today it was 91 degrees at lunchtime, and I did not feel like sweating out in the heat. I drove through Wildwood, hoping to casually bird through my car window! I found the blue jay nest full of little jays! How sweet! I saw at least three, but there may be more that were not visible....
Posted by Dawn Puliafico