Monday, May 20, 2013

Lunch at Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary

It happened again.  I went back to Waseeka for the umpteenth time and still saw something new.

I heard what I thought might be a Scarlet Tanager (they say its song sounds like a hoarse Robin) and shortly after, I saw it high in a treetop.  It's my only Scarlet Tanager sighting out in nature since my Dad showed me my first one years ago at the Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary (coincidentally also high in a treetop).  I had a good view of it through my binoculars, even if it is just a speck in the photo!  And I was correct about the song, which makes me very happy!

Scarlet Tanager  (Come on!  I know if you squint, you can see it!)

Pearl Crescent and American Copper butterflies were flying all over the dam.  Also, Blue-Eyed Grass was blooming on the dam.  I don't remember seeing it there prior years....  


Blue-Eyed Grass


American Copper


Pearl Crescent


American Copper


 Fringed Milkwort
(seems more prolific in the hot sun than in the woods)


Eastern Pine Elfin


Red-Breasted Nuthatch
(glad to see she is still nesting)


Eastern Leopard Frog



Chalk-Fronted Corporals


Juvenal's Duskywing


No comments:

Post a Comment