Monday, May 20, 2013

Parkerville Road

Since the gates have been closed so often when I've gone to Hopkinton State Park in the AM, I drove directly to Parkerville Road in Southboro to see what might be moving around at the Sudbury Reservoir Trail.  It was overcast and grey, bad lighting for most photos.  I saw a nice variety of birds including:
  1. Yellow Warbler
  2. Baltimore Oriole
  3. Barn Swallow
  4. Northern Cardinal
  5. Gray Catbird
  6. American Robin
  7. Song Sparrow
  8. Eastern Kingbird
  9. Canada Goose
  10. Mute Swan
  11. Double-Crested Cormorant (fly-by)
  12. Green Heron
  13. Red-Tailed Hawk
  14. Red-Winged Blackbird
  15. Common Grackle
  16. Tree Swallow
  17. Downy Woodpecker
  18. Mourning Dove

Yellow Warbler


Downy Woodpecker


Baltimore Oriole
(sure looks like he's molting)

I was just reading about molting yesterday in The Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior.  Molting (the regular replacement of feathers) requires 10 - 15% more daily energy needs in warm weather.  Because the energy cost of molting is so high, few birds molt while they are breeding.  My guess is this guy can sing his little heart out, but he won't be breeding unless he suspends his molt and resumes growing new feathers when breeding is over.  I personally think he's too far along to suspend!

Meanwhile, back at home, I had another nice look at the singing House Wren living near the end of my driveway.  It doesn't seem to be too afraid of humans and allows me to get pretty close.

House Wren


No comments:

Post a Comment