Monday, May 13, 2013

Lunch Hike at Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary

I took a quick lunchtime hike at Waseeka today, straight out to the dam and back.  I crossed paths with a jogger and her dog on the way out.  I just don't understand why people abuse wildlife sanctuaries.  Dogs definitely do not belong in them.

Ovenbirds were singing loudly in two spots along the trail, near where it intersects with Sassafrass Trail.  This must be established territory, because I've also heard them here the last few hikes.  I have not yet had the pleasure of being able to spot one, though.

I was pleasantly surprised to see 4-5 butterflies (all the same kind) and a couple of dragonflies.

Chalk-Fronted Corporal (female) unconfirmed


Red-Breasted Nuthatch


Wild Strawberries on the dam


Juvenal's Duskywing







Fringed Milkwort -  I love it!

I walked right past these without seeing them on my way in, but thank goodness the beautiful color caught my eye on the way out.


Starflower


2 comments:

  1. Great images. I just recently had to buy a wildflower guide because many wildflowers are not found in regular tropical flower books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria,
      I used to struggle with book IDs, especially when my book did not include photos of every variety. Now, I use Go Botany, on line, and have had good luck with it for my area.

      Delete