Saturday, May 4, 2013

In Search of Warblers Part I

I went to Marblehead Neck Wildlife Sanctuary to see what luck I might have with warblers at the sanctuary there.  I did see a life bird ~~ the Hooded Warbler.  People clued me in where to look for it, and it was singing by the entrance.  It hopped right out into view for a split second and then back into the forest again, so no photo.  But a wonderful sight to be sure!

The sanctuary itself is so beautiful, so some of these pictures will showcase the forest and scenes around the trails.


A well-placed bench overlooks Audubon Pond.  While I sat here, my view included Northern Cardinals, Black-Capped Chickadees, American Goldfinch, Mallards, several gulls (type unknown), Common Grackles, Red-Winged Blackbirds, Tufted Titmice, and even a Carolina Wren.   I just enjoyed watching them fly by and did not take any photos.

Ferns are making a comeback.



These wildflowers, in white and pink, were found throughout the woods.  I'm still trying to figure out what they are....Wood Anemone perhaps?





I took the Vireo Loop Trail back to the overlook of the private wetlands.  There was a lot of bird activity around these wetlands, so I stayed to watch a while.

Eastern Phoebes


Yellow-Rumped Warbler


Ruby-Crowned Kinglet


Brown-Headed Cowbird




Another mystery wildflower - Wild Oats


 Raccoon! 





This is the view as you leave the Neck.  What a nice place to live!


No comments:

Post a Comment