Thursday, June 11, 2015

Visit to Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary

I spent my lunch break at Waseeka.  Like the barn swallows, I have never managed to get back at the right time to see Osprey young, so I have been going back this year in the hope of getting to see them for the first time!   A parent was still incubating.  They have a very long incubation period:  36-42 days!  The first record I have of one of the Osprey actually sitting on the nest was May 11, so we are getting close!

Osprey on nest

Scarlet Tanager (seconds from the parking lot)

Six-Spotted Tiger Beetle

gorgeous water lily!

Pearl Crescent

Hooded Merganser (female)

nesting Tree Swallow

Peck's Skipper

Common Whitetail (immature male)

Laurel (prob Sheep)

Common Whitetail (male)

Ovenbird

On the way home, I passed the most beautiful patch of lupine in full bloom in front of an old farm in Hopkinton.  I knew I'd have to come back to take some photos since I was out of time!  So, after supper, with the sun hanging a bit lower in the sky, I caught these photos.




3 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, Dawn. I love the Scarlet Tanager peaking out from the leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CapeCodLady8! I need to get back and see if the Osprey babies were born!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete