Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Afternoon at Beals Preserve

I had a nice lunchtime walk at Beals Preserve yesterday, but I just didn't have time to blog about it last night.  Too tired!  Here are the highlights:

Great Spangled Fritillary (one of about 9 seen)

I think this is a Long Dash, but I am not certain.

Least Skipper (best guess)

reflections in the channel

Yellow Warbler

one of the Bluets, but I don't know which

Gray Catbird
one of the parents

Gray Catbird juvenile

White-Tailed Deer

Sometimes I just see the white tail as the deer run off into the woods when I come near.  This one, however, was not scared of me at all.  We had quite the conversation, and she let me take several photos of her and was still there when I walked away.  That does not bode well for her future.  It is much better for them to be afraid of humans.


I was just about to drive away when I spotted a beautiful Eastern Comma in the road.



Eastern Comma

So, I am a bit tentative about my mystery IDs.  I tried, but I definitely feel no confidence about them.  We'll see if anyone (like Josh!) knows for certain what any of the mysteries are!

Also, back at home, I discovered that yet another wildlife family is living under our shed.  In the past, the shed has sheltered a gray fox Mama and her kits, a red fox Mama and her kits, and various woodchucks.  This is the first year I have ever seen woodchuck offspring!  




No comments:

Post a Comment