Sunday, June 14, 2015

Monarch at BHCL!

Freddie and I took a late afternoon walk at BHCL today.  Big excitement included 1) a first of the year Monarch, nectaring on milkweed and 2) juvenile Baltimore Orioles being fed by their mother!

Meadow Garlic
(native!!)

Silver-Spotted Skipper

Monarch 
(first of 2015 in Massachusetts!!)

again

Twelve-Spotted Skimmer (male)

Widow Skimmer (female)

 Indigo Bunting

Cabbage White

Northern Cloudywing

As we were nearing the wetlands area, I mentioned to Freddie that I had been regularly checking the Baltimore Oriole nest but not seeing any parents around.  I thought it might have been abandoned.  These words no sooner left my mouth than we spotted a bird sitting on top of the nest!  It was a juvenile, nearly ready to fledge!  Soon, the mother came with food, and we could see at least two juveniles begging.  I am so glad I was wrong!  And this was the first time I have seen baby Baltimore Orioles.  Quite a thrill!

Some of their white baby down feathers are still on their heads!

Here comes Mama!


It looks like Mama is feeding at least one other juvenile inside the basket, not just the two above.




No comments:

Post a Comment