Friday, June 19, 2015

Indigo Buntings at BHCL

I enjoyed a gorgeous lunchtime hike at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land:  puffy white clouds, flowers in the meadow, beautiful birds and butterflies!


Yellow-Fringed Dolichomia

 Helmeted Squash Bug Nymphs and Eggs

 Great Crested Flycatcher

Indigo Bunting

Little Wood Satyr enjoying a little bird poop

Spangled Slaty Skimmer (female)
(Thanks again to Josh for correcting my ID)

another Indigo Bunting

and its mate

I believe these two Indigo Buntings have a nest hidden in a dense thicket right on the edge of the trail.  They were quite unhappy when I stopped to look out over the meadow.

Great Spangled Fritillary

again

Deptford Pink (non-native)

Northern Mockingbird (juvenile)

Eastern Bluebird (female)

Cedar Waxwing
(a horrible shot through too many branches, but this bird can't be ignored!)

3 comments:

  1. I think the female dragonfly may be a Slaty Skimmer. I'd expect the stigma to be black and white on a Spangled Skimmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Josh. I thought I saw white when I was there, but I certainly don't see it in the photo. Weird!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete