Saturday, June 27, 2015

Butterflies at Horn Pond

I took my own modified field trip to Horn Pond Mountain, staying around the base.  It's only 287 feet high, but I wasn't up for any climbing today, nor was I dressed to avoid possible ticks and chiggers.  I was pretty happy with the butterflies I saw at the base, so it turned out to be a good compromise.

Little Glassywing

Great Spangled Fritillary

and another

Bluet (but I can't figure out which one)


and another

Banded Hairstreak

and another

Edwards Hairstreak

 and another

 Eastern Tailed-Blue

 again

 Lady spp.  (probably American)

Snowberry Clearwing Moth

Plume Moth paralyzed by spider above 
(spider is yellow and well-camouflaged with blooms)



Also seen:

Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur

American Robin
Blue Jay
Common Grackle
Eastern Towhee
Field Sparrow
Great Blue Heron
House Sparrow
Mallard
Northern Cardinal
Northern Mockingbird

1 comment: