Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Red-Eyed Vireo

This bird landed in my peach tree today.  I ran to get my camera and surprisingly, it was still there when I got back.  I snapped one photo of him as he plucked a morsel (insect) of some sort off the branch, and then off he flew.  My friend Alan at The Forbush Bird Club tells me that it is likely a Red-Eyed Vireo.  That's a life bird for me!  I love it when life birds visit my yard!


My field guide says that vireos are olive or grey-backed birds, much like wood warblers, so I feel a little bit better about assuming it was some type of warbler....  This bird spends its winter in the Amazon basin, so it has many miles to go.  Glad it found a snack to eat at my house as it migrates south.

The field guide also notes that the red iris is not obvious at any distance and is brown in immature birds in the fall.  I didn't notice the red iris, so maybe this is an immature bird.  The photo was taken through the window.

So many bird names were given based on features that can't be seen from a distance, or that can only be seen if you are holding the bird in your hand.  That is crazy and frustrating!  I'd like to see a bright red eye on a red-eyed vireo, wouldn't you?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment