Monday, October 15, 2012

Birding at Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge

The weather was supposed to be sunny and in the 70s, so I took an unscheduled day off from work and took a nice, long walk at Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge in Concord, MA.  It wasn't as sunny as they had predicted, but except for one nasty hornet, it was 74 degrees (This is October, people!) and still a very awesome hike.  I saw two monarchs, but neither one posed for photos.  There were scarcely any nectar sources to be found in the entire refuge, so they had more important things to do - find food!



 the ever-present Canada goose (one of many)

 These geese were arguing about who should be at the front of the "V"

 Mute Swan

 Mallard pair

I think this is a flock of female red-winged blackbirds, but am not sure.



 Carp

The carp are piling up (attracted by the sound of running water and then stranding in the reeds) where the hose is pumping water from the river to refill the north impoundment (it was drained for habitat improvements requiring construction vehicles).   It didn't smell too fresh in this corner of the impoundment when I walked by!  They are an invasive species to the refuge, so don't feel too badly for them.  It does seem rather odd to have one species dying within the National Wildlife Refuge as a result of work they are doing to benefit other species.

Not too many flowers left in the refuge....

Song Sparrow

 Milkweed pod



Eastern Painted Turtle, hiding from me inside his shell


The warm weather was my excuse to get out, and you know what else likes warm weather?  Snakes.  They were the creature feature of the day.  The ones I've included here cooperated for photos.  There were others that I missed!

These two snakes were together.  One heading off the trail away from me; the other one was on the trail, head raised up, eyeballing me.  Needless to say, I waited for it to decide where it wanted to go before I continued down the trail.



Dragonfly

Orange-Crowned Warbler
(with gratitude to Alan M. at The Forbush Bird Club
 and Kim at The Curious Birder for confirmation of ID)

red squirrel

poss. American Crow

 White-breasted nuthatch

 I included this one to show you what he had just plucked out of the ground before he flew into the tree.

Hawk (variety unknown)

 White-throated Sparrow

the trail (travelling north along south impoundment)

 Another White-breasted Nuthatch

 This snake was relaxing (?) or hunting in a tree.   I think it is a Black Rat Snake (again, not sure).

 Closeup (and focused face)

 Osprey

South impoundment (looking north).

Eastern Painted Turtle also enjoying the warm weather


No comments:

Post a Comment