Friday, October 5, 2012

Late Season Butterflies

The sun finally came out after several dark, misty, rainy days in a row.  It was a great day for butterflies!  Competition for available nectar is a bit more fierce this late in the season.  I think all this beauty and variety was extra special after three solid days of fog, mist and rain.

Painted Lady and Monarch 2 for 1

Painted Lady

Ocola Skipper (new to life list!)

Painted Lady

Great Spangled Fritillary

American Lady

Red Admiral

Monarch

Fiery Skipper

Orange Sulphur

Painted Lady

Mourning Cloak

Red Admiral doing his best leaf impression

Peck's Skippers 2 for 1


2 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures, lovely butterflies! I fear that we have seen the last of our butterflies here in Scotland. Our buddleia is well and truly over and frosts are forecast tomorrow night. I always find this a sad time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick, you and me both. I can't avoid a little depression as the seasons change. I love butterflies and they are so much fun to photograph. Hard to find a replacement during the late fall and winter months!!

      Delete