Saturday, October 6, 2012

Fall Warblers

It was fun trying to choose where to walk today.  I looked at the Mass Audubon Sanctuary map and read the descriptions for some sanctuaries I had not yet visited, including Marblehead Neck.

"Marblehead Neck is located in the center of the "Neck", a peninsula that extends into Massachusetts Bay.  Its swamp, thickets and woodlands are a haven for migratory birds, especially warblers, during spring and fall migrations.  This sanctuary is a mecca for birders."

That decided it.  I made a pilgrimage to said mecca for birders, arriving about 9:15AM.  After consulting the map, I decided to make my way down "Warbler Trail" because I was hoping to find warblers!

Warbler Trail




My best luck with birds was on the stretch of Boardwalk Trail just after the boardwalk ends where the path borders Audubon Pond.

Here are the highlights (aka cooperative posers).  Hopefully, I have properly identified them, but if you see an error, please let me know.

 Common Yellowthroat (female)

 Wood Thrush??  Not sure about this one.  Eye looks orange....

 Pine Warbler

 Carolina Wren

 Gray Catbird

 Song Sparrow

 Mallards



 Ruby-crowned Kinglet

 cool spider web

 Pine Warbler

 Black-capped Chickadee (our state bird)

 Black-and-White Warbler (new to life list!)

Mystery bird

The coloring on this bird's face is not a perfect match to the bird guide, but it looks like a Black-and-White Warbler.

 White-Breasted Nuthatch




I really enjoyed the trails at this sanctuary and would definitely go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment