Monday, May 25, 2015

Viceroy

I took a morning walk at Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary.  It wasn't as fun as the last time I went there!  This time there were lots of bugs, fewer birds and two photographers who went off the marked trails in order to photograph a Pileated Woodpecker nest.

I did see Eastern Bluebirds, a Great Crested Flycatcher, an Eastern Towhee, Great Blue Heron, Cedar Waxwing, Osprey, a Brown Creeper, Ovenbirds, and a Wood Duck.  Now that I write it out, it doesn't seem like it should be qualified as a bad outing!

Seemed like the most common thing to catch my eye was the dragonflies.  One even landed on me and wanted to be friends.


I have no idea what type of dragonfly this one is.  My field guide shows them all from the side, so this view is not helpful!


Wood Duck (female)

 Dot-Tailed Whiteface


Eastern Towhee

 Chalk-Fronted Corporal

 Ovenbird

 Pearl Crescent


Great Crested Flycatcher

Pearl Crescent

 Eastern Bluebird

 Viceroy

This butterfly was just too gorgeous to ignore, so I am including three different poses.  It flew across the road in front of me, and I actually turned around to pull over and look for it.  It was pretty easy to locate in this vast expanse of hydro grass.




No comments:

Post a Comment