Thursday, May 7, 2015

More Spring Birds and Blooms

I spent my lunch hour at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land.  It's a pretty time of year!



 Red-Winged Blackbird


 Gray Catbird

 Wild Columbine
starting to bloom!

 Song Sparrow



The forest is starting to green up.  Actually, a lot of maple trees burst into full leaf today with the warm weather, but this forest still has a way to go.

After work, I walked a very short bit at Chestnut Hill Farm.  The swarming black flies put a stop to my hike.  I had to wave my bandana around like a mad woman just to have some air to breathe.  Not fun.  But I saw some wonderful birds once I got out of the swarming insects.

Bobolink

Bobolinks returned to Chestnut Hill.  I only saw males, but they were squeaking and squawking from the little island of trees just after you turn on the dirt road.  It will be a while before the grass is long enough for nesting, but they will figure out their territories in the mean time.

There were a lot of Savannah Sparrows flushing out of the grass here, too, but they landed in the trees and wouldn't stay put except where they were backlit.

Across the meadow, there was a little flock of wild turkeys near the edge of the woods.  Some of them looked like puppets, with only heads sticking out of the grass.

 Wild Turkeys

Yellow Warbler

Baltimore Oriole

 Red-Winged Blackbird

This one is serious about defending his territory!

Baltimore Oriole #2

Before I left for Chestnut Hill, I checked on the Eastern Bluebird nesting box in my yard.  So far, the babies are doing well!

 Eastern Bluebird Papa

 Babies


Eastern Bluebird Mama

 American Goldfinches












No comments:

Post a Comment