Friday, May 1, 2015

Happy May Day!

It wasn't the most beautiful spring day today, cloudy and cool with highs only in the mid 50s.  That being said, Mother nature did not disappoint.  I really enjoyed the sights of the day, including my first Ruby-Throated Hummingbird at the feeder!

I drove through Wildwood Cemetery this morning, mostly to check on whether or not the Quaker Ladies were in bloom.  They were not.  I enjoyed watching a few birds and located one nesting American Robin:

Mourning Doves

Chipping Sparrow

 American Robin
puffed up like it was mid-winter (it was in the 40s)
Pretty against the tree buds, though!


Robin's nest

At lunchtime, there were moments of sunshine and the temps had climbed into the 50s, so I headed over to the Sherborn Power Line trail to see if I might get lucky and find some butterflies.  I saw two:  a Spring Azure and an Eastern Pine Elfin.  The azure was much more cooperative than the elfin.

 Spring Azure
showing off its beautiful blue inner wings

 same butterfly 


Eastern Pine Elfin
(my single shot)

 Eastern Towhee

Field Sparrow

Back at home, I enjoyed the following yard birds:

Northern Cardinal (female)
Boy, does she blend in well with the leaf buds

Courtship

This male has won her over.  I watched him feed her seeds 3 times in a short period of time.

Downy Woodpecker



No comments:

Post a Comment