Thursday, May 14, 2015

More Migrants

We had a frost warning last night.  This morning when I left the house shortly after 6AM, it was in the high 30s.  WHAT?  I already put my gloves away for the season.  Come on!

The cold night meant fog, but it was burning off quickly with the rising sun.  Pretty, though.





I headed over to Westborough to walk the WMA.  I didn't see any new birds, but I really enjoyed the show the "regulars" were putting on for me.

Blue-Winged Warbler

Baltimore Oriole with nesting material

According to AllAboutBirds, males will occasionally bring nesting material, but they do not help with the weaving.

Kudos for helping!

Baltimore Orioles were the 2nd most common bird I saw this morning after the Redstarts.

Yellow-Rumped Warbler

American Redstart

This was actually the most common bird I saw this morning.  Amazing, considering I had never seen one before the last couple of years!  There were two males chasing each other and fighting in the air, dropping down to the ground, and then chasing each other again.  I kept waiting for them to perch so I could photograph them, but they never did.  This one must have had his territory all to himself and was just spending his time singing.

Back at home, the beautiful birds continued:

 Northern Cardinal


 Eastern Bluebird

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

No comments:

Post a Comment