Monday, August 11, 2014

Great Blue Heron

We were driving home tonight when I spotted a Great Blue Heron fishing in the river at Marathon Park in Ashland.  I hopped in my car and headed back to try to catch some photos.  It was not bothered by me at all.  Also while there, I saw Eastern Kingbirds, Gray Catbirds, a Baltimore Oriole and a Mute Swan.

 Mute Swan

 Gray Catbird

 Great Blue Heron

 Closer.

Just look at that concentration!

Earlier today I took a hike at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land.  It was surprisingly quiet, with very few birds or butterflies flying.  I did see the Indigo Bunting in the back field, and he is even more brown than last time as he molts out of his breeding plumage.  Another sign of the impending change in seasons.

Gray Hairstreak




Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher

I thought this was a life bird, but it is one I have seen before....just not at this location!  It really threw me, and I had to ask for help with the ID!



No comments:

Post a Comment