Saturday, August 2, 2014

Back to Breakneck Hill Conservation Land

August opened with a two hour reunion walk at BHCL.  I had to see what had changed during my time away, and apparently, big changes are underway for wildflower hill (the first hill off the parking lot).  It has been mowed nearly clean, with the exception of choice patches of wild bee balm and other wildflowers.  A butterfly garden is in the works for a small portion of this area, and the mowing was the first step of that project.

Red-Humped Oakworm caterpillars

This plant had nearly twenty of these caterpillars gnawing on its leaves.  Someday, they will be Red-Humped Oakworm moths.

Crab Spider

 Great Spangled Fritillary

 Interesting tracks left behind by some insect
who knows nothing about the shortest distance between two points....

Little Glassywing (I think)

I had stopped to chat with a couple other people who were walking the trails when I noticed a butterfly had landed on one of them!  I had to take a photo!

Pearl Crescent looking for salt!
(Note:  This is not my foot, but the woman asked to remain anonymous!)

 Downy Woodpecker

Northern Mockingbird
possibly Norm back at his old location????

Sadly, I didn't see any monarchs at BHCL, but just as I was turning into my driveway, one flew across the front of my car and up the street.


No comments:

Post a Comment