Thursday, August 7, 2014

Birds of BHCL

I had an absolutely beautiful morning hike at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land today.  The dew was still fresh on the meadows and paths.  Because of the dew, I was looking for garden spider webs.  They show up well on mornings like today's, but I have not seen a single Garden Spider or web yet this year.

A couple of Common Wood Nymphs were already on the wing before 7AM.

Common Wood Nymph

Chipping Sparrow

Tufted Titmouse (click to enlarge)

Japanese Beetle
(I would have preferred a dragonfly cover in dew, but I have to stick with what I see!)

Green-Fringed Bog Orchid 

Song Sparrows

Carolina Wren (one of two)




"The grass is always greener..."

Baltimore Oriole

 Downy Woodpecker

Eastern Bluebird


I saw the following birds:

American Goldfinch
Baltimore Oriole
Barn Swallow
Black-Capped Chickadee
Blue Jay
Carolina Wren
Chipping Sparrow
Downy Woodpecker
Eastern Bluebird
Eastern Phoebe
House Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Northern Flicker
Red-Tailed Hawk
Ruby-Throated Hummingbird
Song Sparrow
Tufted Titmouse

This afternoon I checked out the flower garden at Stearns Farm in Framingham (no butterflies) and the butterfly garden at the Ashland Community Gardens (just a couple of Peck's Skippers and Cabbage Whites).  The flower field at Stearns is significantly smaller than past years.

And meanwhile, back at home, I have one bull thistle in the backyard that brought in a hungry Goldfinch today.  I also saw a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird nectaring at jewelweed in the wetlands and heard the loud begging noises of the baby House Wrens in the nesting box.  My one surviving buddleia is about to bloom, so I hope it brings some butterflies in!












No comments:

Post a Comment