Sunday, August 24, 2014

Caterpillar Walk at Tower Hill

Today I participated in the caterpillar walk at Tower Hill Botanic Garden.  Sam Jaffe, who founded and runs The Caterpillar Lab in Keene, NH, led the walk and shared his secrets for finding caterpillars in their native habitats.  He brought several Cecropia Moth caterpillars with him, which he released onto a tree during the walk.

I can't remember all of the identifications, so forgive me for posting photos without IDs.

Cecropia Moth Caterpillar


Sometimes we found other insects, like this crab spider eating a bee.


Sam Jaffe, the "Caterpillar Man"
showing us his first find!

Sawfly Larva
(commonly mistaken for a caterpillar)

Hickory Tussock Moth caterpillar (if I remember correctly)


Red Humped Moth Caterpillar

Red Humped Caterpillars alongside casings of the
parasitized remains of dead Red Humped Caterpillars

Oak Petiole Galls



 Pearl Crescent

Cecropia Moth Caterpillar, released into the wild

White-Faced Meadowhawk dragonfly

Slug Moth caterpillar

White-Marked Tussock Moth Caterpillar



Northern Flatid Planthopper

 Gray Tree Frog (I know; it's green.)

Sam found this tree frog on a sapling, but enough people took closeups that it jumped onto the side of a nearby boulder to escape.



Brugmansia cv. Sublime
(seen in the botanic garden)

After I returned home, I found the following around my own yard.

Peck's Skipper

 Red-Spotted Purple

Evening Primrose Moth 
(resting inside Evening Primrose)

 Hummingbird Clearwing Moth

 Great Spangled Fritillary

again






No comments:

Post a Comment