Thursday, April 25, 2013

Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary

I felt drawn to Waseeka again today at lunchtime, hoping to get some shots of Spring Azure butterflies.  Alas, it was not meant to be.  I did see one on the way out, but it was flying way off the trail.

This was the first time I have ever seen a vehicle in the sanctuary - it was a Mass Audubon truck.  Apparently, the employee drove out onto the dam in order to free up the drain.  Sticks had either naturally gathered around it, or an animal had done it, but either way, it was mostly blocked.  So much water was gushing through the opening he made in the drain that it was geysering out the bottom and flooding the lowlands.



My best bird was a Red-Breasted Nuthatch.  The most birds flew into my view as the truck was leaving (Red-Breasted Nuthatches, White-Breasted Nuthatches, Black-Capped Chickadees and Tufted Titmice).  I assume trucks are an unusual sighting for them, too!  Also seen:  Red-Tailed Hawk, Osprey, Belted Kingfisher, Common Grackles, and Tree Swallows.

Darn that little twig!

No comments:

Post a Comment