Thursday, April 18, 2013

Lunchtime Birding at Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary

I walked the Cart Path trail out to the earthen dam and back at Waseeka.  I was happy to see a Spring Azure butterfly on the leaf litter on the trail on my way in.  It was really busy fluttering about but did land once for a quick photo.  I wish I could have captured its beautiful inner blue wings in flight, but it was too quick for me.


As I left the woods and made my way onto the dam, I found a Belted Kingfisher in one of the trees along the water.  I wish I could have gotten a nice, close photo, but it scolded me with its rattling cry as it flew to a tree a bit farther away, then across the water, and out of range.

Next, I spotted a Double-Crested Cormorant sitting on a branch sticking out of the water, and two Hooded Mergansers flushed out of the branches in the water and flew to the far side.  Also, one of the Ospreys was sitting in a tree a lot closer to the dam than usual.  The other Osprey was incubating the eggs on the nest.

 Osprey


 Stopping by the nest


Great Blue Heron

I noticed some movement at the far end of the dam and spotted a Great Blue Heron playing peek-a-boo with me.

Here it came out a bit more from its hiding spot.



On my way out, I saw the Spring Azure butterfly again and also a moth, which I can't identify but will work on.

Half-Wing Moth

Last but not least, there was a cluster of bird activity close to the entrance consisting of Tufted Titmice, Black-Capped Chickadees and Red-Breasted Nuthatches.  It has been quite a while since I have seen a Red-Breasted Nuthatch.  It was nice to see one again, although I didn't get a good photo!

 Tufted Titmouse


Red-Breasted Nuthatch



1 comment:

  1. You saw a lovely selection of birds today. The pictures look quite autumnal! I love the Spring Azure. I know the upper-sides of the wings are beautiful, but I also love the pattern on the under-side.

    ReplyDelete