Thursday, April 11, 2013

Birding at Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary II

Yes, I went back again today!  I figured since it was overcast and cool, it was much less likely that anyone else would be at the sanctuary.  I was right.  I had the place all to myself.

I enjoyed seeing a pair of Hooded Mergansers quite near the dam, some Ring-Necked Ducks hiding away at the far end of the water, the Osprey pair now apparently with some eggs in the nest, a Belted Kingfisher, a Red-Bellied Woodpecker, and a couple of Eastern Phoebes.  Not bad....not bad at all.

 Eastern Phoebe
Don't worry - I didn't go beyond this sign!


Eastern Phoebe



Belted Kingfisher


Hooded Mergansers


Osprey (working on a fish lunch)



If you recall from yesterday's post, the Ospreys were not "on the nest" yet.  I guess the female laid eggs since yesterday, because this Osprey flew over to the nest to share his fish with the Osprey sitting on the eggs.



You can barely see the Osprey that's sitting on the eggs.  Click to enlarge.

I saw the Belted Kingfisher splash the surface of the water, probably catching a fish.  Too far away for my eyes to see details, but still neat to witness.  The sun came out just as I was leaving, another unexpected surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment