Sunday, April 28, 2013

Butterflies at Sherborn Power Line

We just returned from a quick weekend trip to celebrate my sister-in-law's 60th birthday in Ocean City, New Jersey.  Saw some nice birds while I was down there (birding the hotel parking lot, for example) and will post those photos a little later.

I'm still hoping for my first view of some efins this year, but so far I have had no luck.  I did enjoy the walk, though, and saw Mourning Cloaks, Spring Azures, what I think was a Duskywing species and also a couple that looked like Common Sulphurs.  I didn't get photo records on the last two, so I won't be counting those.

The Mourning Cloaks were in the woods that take you down to the power lines.  I kept trying to creep closer to one that was basking in the sun on a log, but it was on to me and it flew around and around me.  By watching its shadow on the ground, I could tell that it landed on the top of my baseball cap twice.  I so wanted a photo -- at least of my shadow -- but it didn't stay long enough!

Yellow-Washed Metarranthis Moth



Wood Anemone



Spring Azure


Ditto


Mourning Cloak - ventral


Mourning Cloak - dorsal

No comments:

Post a Comment