Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Tawny-Edged Skipper

It's been a while since I have seen a "new" butterfly species.  Today was my lucky day.  I stopped at Queen Isabella Way to check the meadow but was disappointed to find it freshly mowed and devoid of butterflies.  I did see a nice male American Goldfinch on the edge of the marsh on my way out.


I then drove over to check the flowers at Wildwood Cemetery for possible butterflies.

Painted Lady (faded, worn)

Painted Lady

Pearl Crescent

I was kneeling in the grass photographing the sedum when this Pearl Crescent flew in and landed next to me.  He didn't stay long....


Tawny-edged Skipper

different angle


I think this photo best shows the tawny edge which gives this skipper its name.  As you can see, skippers are pretty small.  Sometimes it's hard to get a feel for actual size when I zoom in on them to get a closeup.


No comments:

Post a Comment