Sunday, September 23, 2012

Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge

I hiked this afternoon at Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge in Concord.  I almost never see what I am hoping to see when I go there, but there is always a stand out of some sort.  Today, it had to be the Great Blue Heron.  I saw it in the channel on my way in and it had moved even closer to the trail by the time I headed out, fishing only about 30 feet off the path.  Beautiful!

Peek - a - boo

Great Blue Heron "doing his best swan impression"

Back to fishing

Pearl Crescent

a little Fall Color



Marsh Hawk (aka Northern Harrier)


Two marsh hawks were hunting on the far side of the north impoundment.  They were fun to watch but hard to get a good photo because of the distance.

 Dragonfly (looks like he has sunglasses on)

Goldfinch

I love the colors in this photo.  This weed sure is popular with the seed-eating birds. 


There were a lot of noisy flocks of birds out in the middle of the marsh.  I think they were red-winged blackbirds.

 This looks like lace.   I couldn't get over how perfectly it was eaten.... 

The leaf colors are pretty for this early in the season.

 more Marsh Hawk hunting




 Pearl Crescents

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron


No comments:

Post a Comment