Saturday, September 29, 2012

Mass Audubon Stony Brook Wildlife Sanctuary

I hadn't visited Stony Brook Wildlife Sanctuary since April, so I drove down to Norfolk this afternoon to take a walk around.  There was not another soul on the boardwalk, and I enjoyed a fair amount of bird activity.  The fall colors were lovely around the water.  This is a nice sanctuary, and I highly recommend it.  There isn't a huge trail system, but the views are lovely, and if you like water birds, it is a good place to see them.

Canada goose


Great Blue Heron


Northern Parula Warbler




Swamp Sparrow (a life bird!)
 Thanks again to Alan M. of The Forbush Bird Club for help with the ID




Yellow-Rumped (Myrtle) Warbler



 Yellow-Rumped Warbler (nice view of yellow rump)

 Mute Swan Parade




 Wood Ducks

 Eastern Phoebe


 Porcelain Berry


Chipmunk (you knew that, right?)


 Blue Jay


I nearly forgot!  While I had my camera trained on a Northern Parula Warbler that was in a low bush overhanging the water, there was suddenly a loud splash and the warbler was there one minute and gone the next.  I'm assuming it was a snapping turtle, although it happened so fast, I can't be sure.  Poor little bird!


No comments:

Post a Comment