Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Pileated Woodpeckers

I was working away on a document for work when I heard a strange bird singing outside my office window.  I never did spot it, because when I stood up to look out, I immediately spotted a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers moving around a snag!  Thrilling!  It had been a little over 2 years since I last spotted these birds in the yard, again a pair.  I ran for the camera and went out the back door so as not to spook them, but one flew away before I was able to draw near enough for photos.  I only ended up with one mediocre shot of the other, but it was so nice to see them again!

Three American Crows flew in and chased them off, but I could hear them whinnying for quite a while after that.  They make a real strange sound, not something you expect to hear in a residential area.  More like a jungle noise!  What an awesome bird!

Pileated Woodpecker
(red whisker stripe on face indicates male)

At lunch, I took a rainy walk at Chestnut Hill Farm and once again had a nice Wilson's Snipe sighting.  This time it was right in the dirt road!

 Wilson's Snipe

It wasn't the only thing I found in the dirt road today.  There were lots of Killdeer as well.

Killdeer
(How many do you see?)

The fields were filled with American Robins, Killdeer, Red-Winged Blackbirds (male and females), European Starlings, Common Grackles, and Brown-Headed Cowbirds.  It was noisy and busy and nice to see so much activity.  One wet area in a field was serving as a communal bird bath.  At one time, there were more than twelve birds splashing and bathing at the same time.  I just couldn't get close enough to get a photo.  Would have loved that!

Not bad for a rainy day!


No comments:

Post a Comment