Monday, April 27, 2015

Back to Breakneck Hill Conservation Land

Guess what?  Grey skies and cool temps again.  Surprised?  Spring in New England.  Gotta love it (or leave it).  I only had time for a brief walk today.  Here are the things that caught my eye:

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow




Don't miss those tiny cracks of blue sky!

Back at home:

Eastern Bluebird (aka Papa)


I heard a squeak out front so I looked for my resident Broad-Winged Hawk.  It took me a bit to locate it, but once I did, I wished I had my camera.  They were mating!  By the time I turned on the camera and focused, it was over.  Too bad!

 A few seconds too late...

Broad-Winged Hawk

Yesterday, I had a new bird at my thistle feeder.  It only stayed for a few seconds.  I was able to get one photograph before it flew off.  I didn't have time to work on its ID until today, when I happily determined it to be a female Rose-Breasted Grosbeak.

Rose-Breasted Grosbeak
Purple Finch (female)

Happiness aside, Josh F. has kindly provided me with an accurate ID of the above bird as a female purple finch, and not a female Rose-Breasted Grosbeak.  Rats!  Wrong again!  Oh, well!  It's still a new yard bird and a First-of-Year for me.  I just have to chalk up another error in my bird IDs.  (So what else is new?)  Thanks, Josh!  I do appreciate knowing the right ID!





No comments:

Post a Comment