Tuesday, April 21, 2015

BHCL Bird of the Day: Sparrow

The skies looked  very threatening at lunch time today, but I managed to squeeze in a hike at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land without any rain.

Sparrows were the theme of the day:  House Sparrows, a Field Sparrow, Chipping Sparrows, Song Sparrows, and Savannah Sparrows all made an appearance.

Field Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow

again

Lovely!

Chipping Sparrow

House Sparrow

Not one to be able to stick to a theme, I have to include this beautiful Red-Winged Blackbird, working hard to attract a mate.

Red-Winged Blackbird

Also, back at home earlier in the day, I had another migrating Pine Warbler visit my suet feeder.  He paused briefly on the wire before taking flight again.  I was lucky to catch him, and just look at that bright color!

Pine Warbler

I also saw my first woodchuck of the year in my yard today.  They are no friend to the garden.


After work, I thought I'd head down to Stony Brook to take a walk.  It was pretty quiet bird-wise, and pretty busy bug-wise, but I still enjoyed it.  The sunset was pretty, too!

Great Blue Heron





No comments:

Post a Comment