Sunday, April 19, 2015

Great Horned Owl!

I started the day quite early, waking up to a gobbling Wild Turkey who sounded like it was right outside my bedroom window but was actually walking through the woods behind the house.  He was noisy!

Late morning I walked a bit in Sherborn, in the woods leading to and a short time on the power lines.  I saw one Elfin species of butterfly, which I think was an Eastern Pine, but I really didn't get a very good look at it.


I did see my first female Red-Winged Blackbirds in Sherborn.

Red-Winged Blackbird (female)



Leaves are budding out all over the place.  It always makes me think of a fireworks display.  It is such a pretty time!

I spent the afternoon walking around Mt. Auburn Cemetery.  It was in the 50s and sunny, but it was still a little early for flowers and flowering trees.  I saw a lot of great birds, but not a single butterfly.




Do you see it?
There's an American Robin sitting on a nest!







 White-Throated Sparrow




Great Blue Heron




 Hermit Thrush





 House Finch






Wild Turkey
(and the day's gobbling continues)





Hairy Woodpecker




Great Horned Owl

I have looked for a Great Horned Owl every single time I have visited Mt. Auburn Cemetery and never seen one.  Today was my lucky day.  I knew where to look, and what type of tree, but I still couldn't see anything.  Another couple was there at the same time, though, and they spotted it way high in the tree.  They went higher to see if they could get a better look while I circled around to try to get a front view.  I managed to find a break in the branches and was able to get this photo!  I was pretty happy about this one!  I could have left then, because seeing this owl made the whole visit worthwhile.



 Northern Flicker



Boston!


No comments:

Post a Comment