Thursday, April 30, 2015

Chickadee at Beals Preserve

I spent my lunch hour at Beals Preserve in Southboro.  I saw one Mourning Cloak but it was an uncooperative one and refused to be photographed.  Later, I saw a possible Elfin species, but it took off the trail, and I was not willing to chase it through tick-infested territory.

These are the other things that caught my eye:




Splish, splash!  He was taking a bath.

Double-Crested Cormorant in the channel

the channel

Song Sparrow

Red-Tailed Hawk

so pretty when the sun was out...which wasn't long


Not all tree tapping is done by woodpeckers.  I heard a tapping and saw this slim tree trunk shaking and when I came around to the other side of it, I found a Black-Capped Chickadee hard at work cleaning out a cavity for nesting.



Back at home, I suspect the bluebirds are hatching.  Both parents were outside of the nesting box in this photo, and both parents visited the nesting box, although I didn't have much of a chance to observe them.



Our peach tree is just about ready to burst into bloom.

Pine Warbler

Downy Woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment