Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Early Spring Sightings at BHCL

Even though we didn't have much sunshine, it was warm, and I was feeling significantly better, so I took a lunchtime walk at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land to see what I could find.  My sister had asked me if things had started greening up around here yet, so the first photo is in response to that question.

Not yet!

I cut through the forest and was pleasantly surprised to see a Mourning Cloak in spite of the lack of sunshine!

Mourning Cloak

The nesting boxes halfway back on the property were both busy.

 Eastern Bluebird

Tree Swallow

Palm Warbler!!

This was my first warbler sighting of 2015!  They are so beautifully and brightly colored in the spring migration, and I saw 2 or 3 of these beautiful Palm Warblers.  Nice to see them again, and I look forward to seeing more warblers in the coming days!

Chipping Sparrow
looking very dapper 

Northern Mockingbird

That Northern Mockingbird was fun to watch.  It was sort of lifting and outstretching both its wings, then dropping them, and then repeating it again, as it walked on the ground.  One theory behind this behavior is that it throws a shadow on the ground that makes insects move.  It's pretty interesting to watch!  Some day I will get it in a photo!





No comments:

Post a Comment