Monday, May 9, 2016

Tree Swallows and More

I walked at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land today before work.  Something happened to me today that happened once last week too.   I was standing on a trail, either looking at a bird or getting ready to photograph one, when a Tree Swallow swooped in and flew around me in a circle, multiple times.  I felt like I could have reached out and plucked it out of the air.  Was it catching bugs I stirred up as I walked?  I don't think so.  It seemed like it was just satisfying curiosity.  But who knows?  It's a neat feeling to be that close to a swooping, speedy, shiny, blue bundle of bug-catching energy!

Here are the other highlights of the walk:



 Tree Swallows, staking their claim on Box #2

 Song Sparrow 
(This one was actually eating the blossoms)

Northern Parula (high in an oak tree)

 Gray Catbird

 Yellow-Rumped Warbler (also high in the same oak tree)

 Northern Cardinal (female)
I love birds and blossoms together!

Baltimore Oriole (male)

Chipping Sparrow
just about to take flight

 Eastern Bluebird (female)

Eastern Bluebird (male)



Bird list:
  1.  American Goldfinch
  2.  American Robin
  3.  Baltimore Oriole
  4.  Black-Capped Chickadee
  5.  Blue Jay
  6.  Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
  7.  Brown-Headed Cowbird
  8.  Chipping Sparrow
  9.  Eastern Bluebird
  10.  Eastern Kingbird
  11.  Gray Catbird
  12.  House Finch
  13.  House Sparrow
  14.  Northern Cardinal
  15.  Northern Flicker
  16.  Northern Mockingbird
  17.  Northern Parula
  18.  Red-Winged Blackbird
  19.  Savannah Sparrow
  20.  Song Sparrow
  21.  Tree Swallow
  22.  Warbling Vireo
  23.  Yellow Warbler
  24.  Yellow-Rumped Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment