Thursday, May 19, 2016

Birds and Butterflies at Hopkinton State Park

I spent my lunch hour at Hopkinton State Park today.  The sun was out, it was in the high 60s, and it was very beautiful.

 Canadian Tiger Swallowtail (a life butterfly!)

I've seen many Eastern Tiger Swallowtails, and many fly-by Tiger Swallowtails that I could never be sure of, but because this one landed on the beach and was busy collecting minerals from the sand, I was able to get a photograph and actually examine the differences between Eastern Tiger and Canadian Tiger.  I suspected I had my first Canadian Tiger Swallowtail, so then I asked for confirmation from people more expert than I (thanks, Bruce) that this is, indeed, a Canadian Tiger Swallowtail!  My first!  And may I say, I think it is a very fresh, beautiful specimen.

Barn Swallows working on their nest

This pair preferred a "safer" location!

This pair chose the corner

A family of Canada geese actually swam from the other side of the water towards me.  My lucky day!




When they were close to shore, the parents did some major splashing and then actually pushed the goslings all under water.  I guess they wanted them to have a bath!

 A little post-bath preening

Spotted Sandpiper

Killdeer

As I walked along the base of the dam, this killdeer was near the water.  At one point, I must have come near to its nest, because this bird began its "broken wing" display to try to lure me away from the area.

Common Ringlet

Eastern Tailed-Blue

American Copper

I also saw Pearl Crescents, but none of them cooperated for a photo.





No comments:

Post a Comment