Monday, August 24, 2015

Visits to Hopkinton State Park and BHCL

I saw a father Northern Cardinal feeding a juvenile today in my backyard.  I wish they were not so jumpy.  I had to take the photo through my sliding door and further between the slats of the deck railing.  I lost a lot of detail, but at least I have a photo!  When I tried to sneak outside, they both were the first to leave the yard.

Northern Cardinal feeding offspring

I was able to catch a photo of a Northern Flicker that was quite occupied digging in the dirt near my feeders.

Northern Flicker


White-Breasted Nuthatch

House Wren

I kept hoping the sun would come out by the time I took my lunch break, but it was not to be.  I decided to check out shorebird potential at Hopkinton State Park.  It ranged from sprinkling to a crack of sun to totally threatening during my walk.  At least there was no thunder or lightning!


I was surprised to find a Pearl Crescent on the main beach.  It was smaller than most I have seen this year, so I will assume it is from a second brood.  I've heard second brood butterflies are often smaller than the first brood of the season.

Pearl Crescent (fresh, but small)

Purple-Headed Sneezeweed

Dock-Leaved Smartweed (native)

Showy Tick-Trefoil

Spotted Sandpipers

Showy Tick-Trefoil

Black-Eyed Susan

American Goldfinch

Eastern Amberwing dragonfly

Square-Pod Water Primrose (native)
(unconfirmed ID)

closeup

Song Sparrow w/ lunch

 American Copper

After work, the sun came out!  I headed over to Breakneck Hill Conservation Land to look for butterflies!  Freddie and I walked around and enjoyed what sun remained during the last hours of the evening.  It was gorgeous.

 Pearl Crescent

 Monarch!!

 Great Spangled Fritillary

 Eastern Bluebird juvenile

 Great Spangled Fritillary

 Eastern Tailed-Blue

 Eastern Tailed-Blue

 Eastern Tailed-Blue

 Gray Hairstreak

 Eastern Wood Peewee

 Great Spangled Fritillary


The sky was getting prettier and prettier as the sun began to go down.



And then the moon lit up!

No comments:

Post a Comment