Friday, August 21, 2015

Butterflies at BHCL Day 2

Hearing that less than desirable weather is predicted through the weekend, I decided to take advantage of what sun there was today to search for butterflies at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land. Before I even left my driveway, I saw three species of butterflies in my yard, a Zabulon Skipper, a Great Spangled Fritillary and three Cabbage Whites.

Zabulon Skipper (male)

Over at Breakneck Hill, the predicted storm clouds were already gathering.


 Great Spangled Fritillary

 and another

 Northern Broken Dash

Grasshopper

 Gray Hairstreak

 Great Spangled Fritillary

 House Wren

Black-Shouldered Spinyleg Dragonfly w/ its lunch

 Eastern Bluebird (juvenile) in the cherry tree

This tree was also host to three Cedar Waxwings, two American Robins, a House Finch and a Tufted Titmouse.  It is quite popular now that the fruit is ripe!  A fun place to stop (and sweat).

Slender Bush-Clover (native, but unconfirmed ID)

 American Crows

 Don't you just love grasses in late summer?

Great Spangled Fritillary

Also seen:  Peck's Skipper (6),  Clouded Sulphur (4), Cabbage White (2), and Eastern Tailed-Blue (3)


After work, I had the following visitors in my yard:

 Downy Woodpecker

 Great Spangled Fritillary (worn)

 Common Yellowthroat (I think)

 Ruby-Throated Hummingbird (one of at least four)

 Gray Squirrel (looking a bit worse for the wear)
Is that a pellet gun wound?

Tufted Titmouse

 Northern Cardinal

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird





No comments:

Post a Comment