Saturday, March 9, 2013

Mass Audubon Drumlin Farm

I thought that Drumlin Farm would be a good place to walk considering there was at least a foot of snow in most places, and I don't own snow shoes.....yet.

I was right.  All the paths were plowed out nicely, and I had read on line that there were three new kids in the barn, so I wanted to see them too!

 One was caramel-colored.

The other two were mixed.



The cows were about knee deep in the snow in their "meadow".  They followed each other around rather than make their own paths.  





I had to visit the chickens, in honor of my grandfather.  But the smell didn't remind me of his farm this visit.  






I didn't have very high expectations for birding, but a tractor had driven into the fields, so I followed his tracks for a little bit and saw the following:

American Crow

Downy Woodpecker

Carolina Wren




 White-Throated Sparrow


White-Tailed Deer
beautiful liquid eyes

Northern Cardinal

There was a lady pushing a toddler in a carriage at this point, and she was pointing out the cardinal to her little girl.  I told her that there were a couple of bluebirds behind her, and she was very excited, having never seen one before.  It was fun to share that with her!

 Eastern Bluebird

Checking out possible nesting holes?

This was a great place to walk on a snowy day.  The day was sunny and warm, and the farm looked just beautiful and was filled with wonderful things to photograph!


No comments:

Post a Comment