Saturday, March 23, 2013

Birding at Great Meadows NWR

I got up early and headed over to Great Meadows NWR hoping to get there before too many people walked through and all the wildlife disappears.  The parking lot was empty when I arrived!

The floods of my last visit had receded and all the trails were once again accessible without the need for boots.  Even though the birds and waterfowl were closer to the trails than when you are there later in the day, it was still hard to approach them quietly walking on crunchy snow!

Red-Winged Blackbird


 Mallard


Hooded Merganser pair and Canada geese


Muskrat


Wood Duck (drake) and Canada Geese

I love wood ducks and saw at least 4 pairs today!


Canada Geese


Ring-Necked Ducks


Northern Shoveler in front; Mallards behind


Song Sparrow


Tree Swallows perching on reeds





Downy Woodpecker


Hairy Woodpecker


Green returns to the refuge!


Common Grackle


Mallards


Wood Duck (female)


poss. juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk hunting near the bathrooms


Bald Eagle

This was the last bird I saw as I returned to the parking lot!  So glad I didn't miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment