Friday, December 7, 2012

Birding at Farm Pond

Today's lunch hour found me at Farm Pond in Framingham again.  I find it's a quick and easy stop when there's limited time.  And I know a sighting of something is guaranteed.

Hooded Mergansers

Those mergansers look like they just had an argument!  


The forecast today called for the sun to peak out.  Ha!  I saw it while at Farm Pond and could look directly at it without any problem.  It was about as bright as a flashlight shining weakly through the cloudy sky.  You can tell how "gray" everything was at Farm Pond from these pictures.

 Greater Black-Backed Gull



Herring Gull - 2nd winter

Hard to believe the ice was thick enough to support gulls.  It was 46 degrees.



 Great Blue Heron

I was just finishing up my walk when I saw a Great Blue Heron fly north to south across the pond and land just on the other side of the causeway.  I thought I might catch a photo of it on my way to the car, but it barely stayed there 30 seconds before it flew north again.  This time a second Great Blue Heron followed.




Click on any photo for an enlargement.



No comments:

Post a Comment