Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Snow Goose and White-Winged Crossbills

Today, at one of my regular Southboro stops, the flock of Canada geese was picking its way across the field as usual.  Wait!   Is that a white goose in their midst?  A SNOW GOOSE!  A life bird!  What a fun surprise!

 Snow Goose



When I was leaving, I decided to stop in a parking space along Parkerville Road to see if I could get an even closer photo of the goose.  While I was taking photos, I heard an interesting scratching sound coming from the tops of the Norway Spruce trees across the street.  It was a flock of at least ten WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS!!  What an awesome and unexpected surprise!  The lighting was bad and the distance was bad, so I didn't get nice photos like I did when I went to Salisbury Beach State Reservation to see them, but to see them so close to home while not looking for them was a thrill!  And I had my binoculars with me, so I had good sightings with them!

White-Winged Crossbills (click to enlarge)

Also seen:
American Goldfinch
Black-Capped Chickadee
Canada Goose
Dark-Eyed Junco
Mute Swan
Northern Mockingbird


What a lunch break!

No comments:

Post a Comment