Friday, January 18, 2013

Red-Tailed Hawk

I visited Lake Chauncy in Westboro for the first time today.  The beach area is all fenced in, but the gate was open and there was convenient parking across the street.  The wind was fiercely whipping off the water, and since it was only 25 degrees, I can only imagine what the wind chill was!

There were about 10 gulls sitting out on the edge of the ice about midway across the lake.  They were really too far to ID, but I am glad I stopped to check out this new birding site.


The reason I visited Lake Chauncy was because someone had reported seeing an Iceland Gull there and having never seen one before, I thought it might be fun to try.  The distance between the shore and the gulls negated my ability to get a good photo, so I'll have to keep a watchful eye for this species of gull some other day!

On the way to and from Lake Chauncy, I passed a parking lot that was lined with crabapple trees attracting tons of American Robins and European Starlings.  I pulled in on the way home, in case some other more interesting bird might be among these commoners.  No such luck, but as I was watching, a Red-Tailed Hawk flew in and landed in a nearby power line.  You should have seen the other birds scatter when the hawk flew in!

Red-Tailed Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment