Saturday, January 5, 2013

Birding at Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge

38-42 degrees
mostly sunny!

Great Meadows was a magical place this morning.  I wasn't on the trail two minutes before I saw a flock of birds on the trail, moving from one side to the other.  A photographer was on the far side of the flock.  I moved slowly towards them in an attempt not to scare them off.  It was about 20 Common Redpolls.  A beautiful start to a beautiful hike!

Common Redpoll








I took a left up the side of the north impoundment and found a nice little flock of bluebirds and several downy woodpeckers along that path.


(looking south on the path)

Eastern Bluebird




Downy Woodpecker








Song Sparrow




I walked only about halfway down the side of the south impoundment.  Two photographers were watching what looked to me like a kinglet darting from branch to branch.  After they moved on, I was able to spot it as well.

Golden Crowned Kinglet







White-Breasted Nuthatch



American Crow


Swamp Sparrow

American Goldfinch

Tufted Titmouse

Black-Capped Chickadee

As I was driving out of the refuge, I saw the herd of dwarf pygmy goats that I have heard are "regulars" at the refuge.  It was my first time seeing them.  I had already packed my camera up, or it would have been fun to catch a photo of them!  Next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment