Sunday, January 6, 2013

Dorchester Harbor Walk

This afternoon I drove down to Boston to the JFK Library to see if any crosswings might still be found in the pine trees there.  No luck w/ the crosswings, but I did enjoy the harbor walk and saw some awesome birds along the way!

Common Goldeneye (nice close look at it!)


White-Winged Scoter


Horned Grebe (nice close look at it)


Bufflehead (male)


Mute Swans


Herring Gull


The only bird I ended up finding among the pine trees was a lone Red-Breasted Nuthatch.

Red-Breasted Nuthatch


Great Black-Backed Gull 
Thanks to Alan M. of The Forbush Bird Club for correction on this identification.


American Black Ducks

American Black Duck (drake)


The view of Boston from Columbia Point

I thought Boston looked pretty small from this vantage point.....

Before heading home, I thought I might catch the sunset at either Bose Mountain or Hopkinton State Park.  Bose Mountain was not looking like anything special tonight, so I continued on to HSP.  I just missed the big orange sun dropping behind the tree line at HSP.  But, there were two female Bufflehead ducks diving very near the shore, though, which was quite fun to see!  

Buffleheads (female)
Now you see them


Now you don't!




No comments:

Post a Comment