Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Eastern Bluebirds

This morning I spotted a hawk perched in a tree next to St. Mark's golf course in Southboro.  I pulled into the cemetery across the street hoping to take a photo.  It was still early dawn and I didn't get very good results.  I was just getting ready to pull out of the cemetery when I saw a flock of birds fly across the road into the cemetery, so I put the car in reverse and pulled nearer to them.  It was a flock of at least 12 Eastern Bluebirds.   Several of them flew behind a rather large tree trunk.  I was curious what they could be doing back there.  It was almost like a game of Hide 'n Seek.

Of course, they flew off when I walked into a position where I could see the back side of the tree trunk, but lucky for me, they just moved to the bases of other tree trunks behind me, where I could see what they were doing.  Apparently, these old trees have some very good rotten spots near the ground, and they were finding something to eat in the decay.




 This photo almost makes me think they are lining up for a breakfast buffet!





Click on any photo for an enlargement.

No comments:

Post a Comment